Welcome to The Cage - a series of interviews where Telesperience questions key figures and thinkers from the telecoms industry. 10 minutes; no questions barred.
In this interview Telesperience Chief Strategist Teresa Cottam asks MDS's Rob Smith about how CSPs should tackle the SME opportunity, including exploring the key differences between supporting a SME and large enterprise business.
In this interview Teresa discusses with Rob Smith the following:
- Is SME really any different to enterprise?
- What are the top three things operators need to get right in order to prevent commoditisation of SME?
- What lessons should CSPs be mindful of from previous attempts to monetise the SME sector?
- Can very small SMEs - microbusinesses - be treated like consumers? How should CSPs manage their SME business?
- What are the key differentials between the business model for consumers v SME v large enterprise?
- Is there any innovation in terms of BSS for the SME market? What innovations can CSPs offer here?
- How do CSPs differentiate their SME offering and avoid commmoditising it? How do they do it profitably?
- CSPs are looking at Cloud and Managed Services as a way to get to market quickly - is there any difference between these two approaches?
We hope you enjoyed listening to this interview. Here's some other ideas for you.
- Find out more about MDS at their website.
- Check out another interview such as this one by Volubill's John Aalbers on how his company is differentiating itself in the market; Birdstep's Lonnie Schilling on WiFi offload; Comptel's Matti Aksela discuss contextual analytics; Darren Walker from Level 3 talking about how businesses are customers too; Sigma Systems John Frame talking about how to deliver the SME opportunity; or Cerillion's Dominic Smith on the new Cerillion Skyline cloud billing solution; BroadForward's Steven van Zanen on why interfaces are critical.
- Follow Teresa or MDS on Twitter.